Friday, June 18, 2010

A Long Day

Hunter and I headed up to Doernbecher yesterday morning. He had a spinal tap and chemo scheduled. Before Hunter had his procedure and while he was being hydrated Dr. Thomas came to talk and explain what's going on now.
Hunter is now in remission. To be in remission the amount of leukemic cells in the bone marrow needs to be at 5%. Hunter is at 3%. Lookin' good. Hunter is now in the consolidation phase of treatment which will last for 2 months. He gets spinals for 4 weeks in a row. This is happening so they can put chemo directly into his nervous system to keep the leukemia come back there. Our visits are now down to one a week for the next 2 months. There is also a chemo drug that I get to give him here at home for three days. Then next week it is the same. I also get to take the needle out of his Port. I got to practice at the hospital and feel somewhat confident. We'll see once I get to do it on Hunter and not a mannequin.Here he is enjoying the T.V. after his spinal.
We had to be at the hospital at 9:30 am because of the chemo Hunter was getting. They have to make sure he is well hydrated before he can get the chemo. So on the sedation days it makes it very difficult to make sure he is hydrated since he can't eat or drink for so long.
The spinal only toke 15 minutes from the time he fell asleep to the time he was back in his room awake, very quick.
After Hunter got the chemo drug then they have to hydrate him for 4 hours after. Yes it was a very long day. we didn't leave until 6:45 pm. Luckily this won't happen again for four weeks. The weeks in between will just bee sedation's and quick chemo.

A very cool shirt that some co-workers of Aaron's gave to Hunter. He wore it yesterday. It says 'My Jedi Skills You Will Like' Hunter is definitely using his skills to power through all of this.

6 comments:

kg said...

Hooray for remission! Great skills Hunter :)

christa said...

YA REMISSION!!! You are all always in our prayers. I hope those 4 weeks of spinals aren't too painful. Again, let us know if you need anything.
Love you guys.

Stacey said...

Yeah for remission!! Glad the process is working well and moving forward!

Andrea said...

Hooray for positive progress! Sorry about the long day... I'm happy, though, to hear that he is doing well enough to move onto the next step. (I like the TV on the swiveling arm mount.)

Becky said...

So good to hear he is to this stage! He is amazing and still smiling! Got to love that! Hope all is well.

Alli said...

Wow. I just caught up on all this - SO sorry for your difficult trial, so glad you're getting love and support to help you through. What a brave boy to have to deal with something so painful and scary at such a tender age. Prayers and hugs!!