Today is the 29th day of induction, the intense part of Hunter's chemo. Hunter needed to be up at Doernbecher's this morning at 8:30a.m. It was an early morning just like last week. Surgery wanted to make sure Hunter's platelets were at a normal level. Platelets are what make your blood clot. Pretty essential when you're having a surgery. The surgeons want the platelet count to be at 75,000 or above. Hunter's blood was drawn and we found out that his were at 85,000. Fabulous! Now we just had to wait until noon to check in at surgery. We waited in the clinic waiting room and watched 'Annie'. At about 10:30 a.m. I got a call from surgery that they were ready for us to come down. As we were walking out Hunter's nurse stopped us to tell us that the labs are also sent downstairs to be checked also. The number that came back for the platelets was 65,000. Hunter needed some platelets to be given through Hunter's PICC line. We sat back down to watch some more of 'Annie', to wait for the platelets to be sent up. About 10 minutes later we were told to head to surgery where they would be administering the platelets.
Finally in a bed waiting for the platelets. Hunter loves the personal T.V. I forgot to mention, Hunter hasn't eaten anything since last night and 11:30 p.m.
This is what a PICC line looks like. It is nice, because you don't have to be poked every time. Hunter is excited to get it out then he can take showers without having to wrap it up and in a couple of weeks he can go swimming. 
This is what his port looks like. To get blood or give meds there is a special needle that needs to be used.
Surgery went well and all of the other procedures went well, too. Hunter was so ready to get something to eat. He was drinking a Sprite when I came into the room. He also got a cookie in the recovery room. The incision where the Port was put in is sore. Other than that his pain is minimal. Hopefully tomorrow will be the same.
There was so much traffic today. I couldn't wait to get home. It took an extra 30 minutes. I'm very grateful we were able to travel safely. About ten minutes before we were home we stopped and not moving for about 25 minutes. So glad Grandma was home with the kids.
What's in the future? Hunter has appointments for the next two Thursdays scheduled. We will find out Monday or Tuesday at the latest about the results for the bone marrow. We'll get to know if Hunter is in remission or if we need to continue with what we have been doing for a couple more weeks.
5 comments:
What a big day for you guys! I hope next week brings the best of news.
Amy
wow Cami that is a lot! Hunter us such a trooper. Isaiah prays that Hunter will be brave almost every night. We love you guys and are constantly thinking about you. Please let me know whenever I can help out. I am more than happy....especially since I just love your kids!
I hope good news is in the future too. You guys have taken this in great strides. We appreciates these updates.
Thanks for keeping us updated!
This is a big week! Loved the part about the surgery gowns. When Alex was having all his surgeries my mom made several for him. It helped him feel like he had a little bit of control over what was going on. You guys are sure inspirational!
Post a Comment