Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Doernbecher Appointment, Shingles and Chicken Pox

Last Thursday Hunter had his monthly visit to Doernbecher. We told the nurse as soon as we were there that Hunter had gotten a rash a couple of days earlier. She told Dr. Thomas and he was in the room before the blood work results were back. 
(Horrible pictures, I know, can't find the actually camera. These are from my phone.)
Upon on examination, Dr. Thomas said it was Shingles. Oh joy! 
Hunter still got his chemo and back poke. But was not able to do his month steroids or daily chemo at home. To say Hunter was dissappointed would be an understatement. He is on Acyclovir. It is an anti viral med for chicken pox and shingles. Thankfully Hunter wasn't having any other symptoms with the shingles except extreme itching. It he had a fever or wasn't feeling well, into the hospital he would go. Shingles aren't contagious unless you touch the rash.
It's been almost a week and he is feeling pretty good.
Here's a funny picture of him a couple of weeks ago. He had chapped lips and Gretchen had some  York Peppermint Patty chapstick. He put it all over his mouth jokingly. What a nut!
On to the chicken pox, Monday I noticed a red spot on Hazel's head. I thought she had just scratched herself. She does that quite often. Yesterday when she woke up in the morning I noticed more red bumps and the one from Monday was blistered. She also had some on her back and diaper area. Poor little lady got the chicken pox. We are assuming from Hunter. I guess Hunter or I didn't wash our hands enough. She felt kind of warm Monday night. She is getting 3 teeth on the top so I figured it was from those. 
She has been her usual happy self. Although this morning she was a bit clingy, but still happy. Still no fever, just more spots. Let's hope this doesn't continue through the rest of the kids. They have all been vaccinated. So was Hunter but he still got the chicken pox. We'll see what the next 3 weeks have in store for us. That is how long it can take for chicken pox to show up.
Cute little lady!
Here are some of the bumps on her head. Wish I could make them go away  faster.
The joys of motherhood, I really wouldn't trade my job for anything!

1 comment:

Mama Nirvana said...

Actually getting chicken pox is builds a lot better immunity than a vaccination, so Hazel is maybe lucky to get them? Hopefully everyone will mend very quickly.