Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Doernbecher Day

...but no chemo. Hunter's ANC were at .4. Which is too low for one of his Methatrexate chemo. Luckily Aaron took him today. But we get to go back on Friday to see if his counts have gone up. If not Hunter can still get the Vincristine chemo, but not his Methatrexate. If the counts are better then he can get both. It kind of a bummer because we didn't have another appointment until the 28th. Oh well, it is what it is and we are still moving forward.
Friday will be the last appointment of this phase. The 28th, if Hunter's counts are good enough, will be the beginning of the next phase, Delayed Intensification. That lasts for 57 days or so depending on Hunter's blood counts. After this phase, Hunter gets to do the last two phases over again because he is a slow responder. Then it is on to Maintenance. Which may be once a month trips to Doernbecher.
It is crazy how much our lives have changed in the last 5 months since Hunter's diagnosis. As a family we have grown so much closer, what a blessing. I thought we were pretty close. I guess there is always room for improvement. The kids have shown more compassion for each other. Don't get me wrong the are still siblings and fight with each other. But I have seen more of those moments that make me proud and smile because they were so thoughtful. Just some thoughts I've had lately, looking back at our life.

2 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

Thank you for taking to the time to share Hunter's ups and downs. I'm so happy that there are bright spots in this!

Amy

kg said...

I've always admired how close your family is too and what a joy to become even closer :)